Monday, May 2, 2011

The tribe has spoken

Today marks the first time that I'll be old enough to vote in a federal election.  It's a strange feeling, but it mostly makes me feel like an elderly person, and it doesn't help that I'll be half way to forty in sixteen days.

I don't have much to say about the election; my purpose is not to open up some sort of politics argument with myself.  I've made my mind up as to who I'll be voting for.  I, for the most part, agree with that party's platform, and I feel comfortable with my decision.

I've learned two valuable things about my right to vote.  The first is, never feel insignificant.  For a fraction of a second, I doubted myself, thinking to myself that my one vote won't change anything.  While, in truth, that will probably be the case unless there's a tie and government officials come to my home and say Matt, we need you to cast the deciding vote, the biggest thing I kept in mind is that to be able to vote is a responsibility entrusted on me and a privilege to remind myself that I live under a democracy where the people's opinion matters.  (mostly)

The second: I was advised not to vote personally.  Honestly, I don't care for any of the candidates for Prime Minister; they all creep me out in varying degrees.  Even still, I'm not casting my vote on behalf of who I hate least - in fact, I strongly dislike the person I will be voting for.  I've been taught to separate person from party in efforts for a better government.

But then again, I'll do what I do best when I become a hypocrite when I say there's just no way I'm voting for Stephen Harper.

No comments:

Post a Comment