Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Give it up

By no means am I a religious person.  Quite the opposite, in fact: the last time I've been to church would be counted in years, not months; I've been called to question the validity of my religion; however that being said my questioning doesn't matter very much to me - it's a minor detail that I gloss over in my mind.  Everyone back away from me, lightning's gonna strike me any minute.

As far as I can remember I've never successfully given up anything for Lent (starting tomorrow with Ash Wednesday.  Way to be late, Easter).  In fact, I try but I can't even remember my attempts; I'm sure I tried junk food or swearing or something of the sort - just as I'm sure that after mere hours I was probably sitting on my couch eating chips and cursing at the air in front of me.

Is there a reason why I've decided to myself that this year will be different?  No.  I wasn't struck with a religious epiphany; no angels visited me in late hours of the night giving me some religious call.

I'm not choosing to give up anything at all - I'm far too gluttonous for that.  Instead, I've decided that every day in Lent - God willing (oh my god, pun not intended.  Shit, I did it again) - I run.  My basement is full of dust covered exercise equipment, all given hope once or twice a year when my mom or dad or I use it for two or three days in a row only to fall back off the wagon.  I'd like to make a change this time.  Every morning before class, I wake up at eight and shower around nine.  In that hour, I sit on my computer.  I'm doing it now as I write this.  I'd like that for the next forty days (if not more, should it be a successful bid), I wake up, and instead of pointlessly sitting on the computer, I run on our treadmill.

Is it wrong of me that I'm using Lent as an excuse to project something completely unrelated onto it in hopes of success?  I'm not sure.  All I know is today, Tuesday, it seems like a good idea.  I'll get back to you Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment