Tuesday, July 5, 2011

These people are crazy

I'm absolutely fascinated by the A&E show Hoarders which I've only recently discovered.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't spend the day today watching the marathon aside from having to work.  In fact, it's on right now, and I'm watching some insane old woman with hundreds of chickens and other malnourished and abused animals as well as some aggressive guy with rabbits who roam around his house and eat through the walls.

I have this persistent want to vomit as I watch every episode, absolutely astounded by the level of filth these people have let their houses get to.  It's unfathomable to me that a person is capable of letting their house deteriorate to such states which are shown; I saw an episode where a decrepit old woman lived in five feet of garbage and that is disgusting.  The thought of even a single food wrapper sitting out on my dresser makes me uneasy - I can't imagine being psychologically incapable of throwing anything out or spending so much money on a single obsession that you're literally swimming in it.  (I'm referring to this batty old lady who hoarded thousands of stuffed animals)

I guess, in some strange way, I do feel bad for these people.  I feel bad because their hoarding is rooted in a mental inability to part with things, or to collect massive amounts of things, or what have you.  My sympathy is completely erased when these people become psychotic: if you refuse to clean out your house even after the law has told you they're going to remove your children from you, and if you become violent when others try to help you throw things out, you're deranged.  In respect to the episode I'm watching now, the old woman with the hundreds of abused animals is absolutely despicable, and I'm disgusted as she violently insists her chickens are happy as the camera pans over easily ten chickens living per cage never being let out.

I don't quite know why I'm so fascinated with this show.  Maybe it's because some of these people are trainwrecks.  Reality at its finest.

2 comments:

  1. That is so sad. The woman with all those poor animals should be hauled to jail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the end of the episode it said she was charged, thank god!

    ReplyDelete