Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mr. Nice Guy

Hi, I'm Matt.  This here is called the Haus of Matt, my blog, and I publish blog posts here often!

(just in case you've forgotten, of course, since it's been AGES since I've contributed something meaningful)



Think to yourself: when you think Matt, when you picture my smiling mug in your mind, what's the first description you think of?  Aside from maybe funny or tall (or jokingly rude things, and I'm looking at you, you handful of funny people), you may think "nice."

Am I being egotistical?  Absolutely not.  I think it's common knowledge that I'm a nice guy; in fact, I pride myself on it.  It's one of the better things about me, I'd say.

Is there a point where I'm TOO nice?

I've been trying to evaluate this about myself as of late.  I put it in my best effort to be a really good friend: do I put my friends so far ahead of me that I forgot about myself?  I try my hardest to be as nice as possible to everyone I know, from close friends to not so close friends to acquaintances I see often: is there I point where I come off as a pushover?  Do I send off the message of Hey, walk all over me?

There isn't a defined answer.  If "yes" to any of it, what would I do?  I wouldn't consciously decide that to "change" myself - that is to say, I wouldn't decide to start acting more rude.  In fact, I don't know how to act any other way; my "too-niceness" is the norm for me, and to act any differently would be completely superficial.  Does that show that I was born naive, thinking that everyone in the world is good enough to deserve kindness?  Or does it show that - pardon this if I sound full of myself - I'm really THAT good of a person, so nice that it's sickening?  Who knows.  Like I've already said I don't have an actual answer; instead I have more and more questions.

Here's another: is this issue actually destroying my life?  Pish posh, of course not.  I'm not overly bothered by this.  It's merely some Matt food for thought.  Hopefully it's tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment