Saturday, September 10, 2011

Not dead yet

My first full week of living alone has come and gone and I'm still alive!

It still really hasn't hit me that I moved out, and at this point, I doubt it ever will.  Everything just feels so natural that the jarring change of circumstances never affected me at all; even thinking to myself, "I don't live at home," doesn't bother me.  Time has flown as much as it's crawled by: looking back at the week, it went by rather quickly, but remembering times throughout the week where I was shocked by how little time has passed reminds me that time is in super slomo, too.  I have all the time in the world, and while it gets away from me - take for instance this afternoon where all I did was do my readings for three classes then read some The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (which is fantastic) and then bam it's now after 6 - it still feels so slow.

All of my classes have started up, and following a few last minute schedule changes (involving a less-than-desirable English course I was enrolled in being dropped out of severe disinterest in the subject and fear of the professor who is allegedly a hard ass), I've settled into my schedule.  (I still can't remember it at all, though, and I have to write down room numbers on my hand every day) I found a common trend amongst all of my classes is that I expected much more from all of them, as all sort of underwhelm me even now as I look just above my laptop monitor to the six course syllabi I have tacked up on my desk's bulletin board.  I feel like attending all of these classes will be a drag, no doubt a result of iffy content (Postcolonial and Transnational Discourses - I mean, what the fuck is that?  Taking it to fill a requirement) or unimpressive (thus far) professors (like a creepy old man for my writing class or a 40-year-old Snooki for my cinema class) or rather frightening material (I did the readings for my Rhetoric class and woosh, they went entirely over my head).  Either way I know I'll survive the year.

Aside from my classes, I'm actually going to the gym, whose membership is included in my tuition and who is, physically, gorgeous - it's state of the art.  Somehow, additionally, I'm still alive foodwise, and I haven't yet found myself starving even though I eat considerably less than what I did at home.

Well, anyways.  I'm sure the stress levels are bound to mount like never before now that all of my classes have progressed from the introductory blather to actual course content.  It won't be long before I'll be writing essays or studying for midterms, but in that sense, it won't be long before it's Thanksgiving or Christmas.  At least now I know I can't accidentally kill myself through my sudden independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment