Monday, April 18, 2011

Freedom

"Some idiot bailed you out."  Get it?  Bail.. freedom.. titled Freedom.. ha ha.. ha.. okay you got me I'm lazy as shit and didn't want to draw anything for this.  Creative block, nothing to draw!


 






My second year of university officially drew to a close today at 3pm.  To be honest, I'm a little bit sad, but I'm mostly relieved.

This past year, academically, was a year of prosperity.  I switched programs and officially became a bleeding heart Humanities kid, what with my English major and Cinema / Professional Writing minors (actually, fingers crossed still for the second minor.  Priiiiice, give me a 75!).  For some reason or another, I kept up with biology, taking two courses first semester and one second semester.  Why?  Especially knowing that two of them were as difficult as a reluctant hooker and taught by an awful woman?  I don't know.  I told myself it was to please my parents still, or to give them a segue and bring them lightly through my transition to a student of English; they've long stopped caring about what I'm doing in my academic life, so my reasoning fails me.  The real reason was to maintain my connections, given that most of my friends are science kids (whether or not they still are in the sciences in the present).  Despite wanting to die a slow death during those classes, I know the real reason I kept up with them was to keep the good times rolling.  I hate cliches, but it's the truth, that those classes were fun.

Aside from that, I was very much alone this year in my new field of study.  I have no problem with that: I don't need to have someone sitting beside me to better my university learning experience.  I learn the same whether or not I'm sitting with someone (in the case of biology, maybe that's a lie.  I totally didn't learn anything but I'd take that with socialization and mutual feelings of doom above anything else).  With the case of my humanities credits, I was very much fine being the sexy mysterious tall guy sitting alone intent on listening.  (Even I laughed at that.)  That all doesn't say that I'm a social recluse; while I maintained the relationships I had from first year and am very much glad I did, I'm proud to say that I met a lot of new people this year, too, and I look forward to seeing them again next year.  Of course, it certainly helped that some of my classes required outside of class time groups for group assignments / work, but even in that "forced" environment, I'm glad I shared the good times with those people.  I'm thankful for everyone in my life, new and old friends alike.

In response to my switching of majors, I find it funny to look back at some of the posts here on this blog of mine before class began in September.  I had massive amounts of anxiety; it was make it or break it - I had finally made my parents accept that I'm an English kid at heart, and because of that, anything other than success in the courses I fought to take would not be acceptable.  Suffice to say I found that success, and I can't be happier.  I'm back in the mindset where I'm disappointed with a high 70; I don't mean to gloat, but I'm over the moon with knowing that the work I'm doing is finally up to - and above - standard.  I should only hope my success carries onto next year.

As for my exams this year, I don't have much to say.  I've already gotten three final marks (two exam marks, from the two I wrote on the 8th and 9th), and I'm very pleased.  Like I said, I'm now in the mindset where I think to myself, Damnit, I could've made it two or three percent higher, but anything compared to my first year marks are gold.  Oh, and my right hand is totally out of business.  Cramp central.

I look forward to next year with a great excitement.  The courses I've mapped out for next year are exciting to me - I'm finally taking the Graphic Novel, which is a course completely tailor-made for me - and not to mention a massive change in my life is on the rise: I'm finally moving out.  I can't wait to live in residence and I can't have thought of a better person to share the experience with.  I'm more than excited for the good times undoubtedly on the horizon.

For now, though, I'm just looking forward to the summer.  I've been reading up a fury now that I'm off of class - the Hunger Games is really, really, really fantastic, and I have a large stack of books to be read, too.  I've worked a lot in the past week, and while I'm exhausted, I'm at least happy I'm making money.  The craziness of my job is sure to mount as I have four full months of work ahead - joy, joy, joy - but, again, at least I'll have an income.  Most of all, though, I'm excited to spend time with the people I love most in the world.  Plans have already begun swirling like wildfire, and I should only hope they all carry through (I think this year we have a newfound drive to fulfill things).  The nerd in me is shaking with anticipation for the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and for X-Men First Class and the slew of other cool looking movies coming out.

All in all, I had a good second year of class, and it scares me to think that I'm officially 50% done my university career.  I don't want to get too ahead of myself with my stress levels; for now, bring on the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment